The Institute of Chemical Sciences was established in May 1945 on the basis of the chemical laboratories of the Chemical Metallurgical Institute (Resolution by SNK of KazSSR of December 6, 1944 No. 689). In 1946 it joined the organized Kazakh Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh SSR.
By decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR dated March 13, 1969, the Institute was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for achievements in the development of science and the training of highly qualified personnel.
In 1969, on the basis of the department of organic catalysis and electrochemistry of the Institute of Chemical Sciences of the Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh SSR, Hero of Socialist Labor, academic scientist of the Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh SSR D.V. Sokolsky organized the Institute of Organic Catalysis and Electrochemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh SSR – at that time the second research center in the field of catalysis in the USSR.
As part of measures to implement the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan N.A. Nazarbayev from March 11, 1996, No. 2895 “On Measures to Improve the System of Public Administration of Science in the Republic of Kazakhstan” the institute was transformed into the Institute of Chemical Sciences named after AB. Bekturov of Ministry of Science – Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan.
In the period from 1999 to 2009, the Institute functioned in the form of the republican state-owned enterprise and subsidiary state enterprise on the basis of economic management.
According to the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated October 17, 2007 No. 961 in 2009, the Institute was reorganized into JSC “Institute of Chemical Sciences named after AB. Bekturov ”(hereinafter referred to as the Institute or the Institute of Social Sciences) with 100% state participation in the authorized capital. Later, according to the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated July 27, 2009 No. 1148, the state shareholding of the Institute was transferred in payment for the authorized capital of Samruk-Kazyna NWF (hereinafter referred to as the Fund).
Subsequently, in accordance with the decision of the Fund’s Management Board dated November 19, 2009, 100% of the Institute’s shares were transferred as payment for the shares of «NC KazMunaiGas» JSC . By decision of the Board of Directors of «NC KazMunayGas» JSC dated September 27, 2010, 100% of the Institute’s shares were transferred to pay for the shares of Kazakh-British Technical University JSC (hereinafter – KBTU).